NGKerk Worcester (Moedergemeente)
The church stands on the town’s secondary axis, at right angles to that of the Drostdy, and at the head of two vacant blocks, one of which is now built up. It was initially meant to stand at the exact centre of the two blocks: on the main axis on the town’s grid. The church was inaugurated in 1832. It differed in many respects from the original design.
A drawing made in 1839 or 1840 shows it as cruciform, thatched building with straight gables and, in front a tower with a short spire. Though the walls of the present church are still those of the original one, it has been altered considerably. The woodwork is modern and the thatched roof has been replaced by a slate roof with lower pitch. The tower was replaced by a much taller tower, first with a “bliktoring”, the present open lantern dating from 1927. The church is still in possession of its original pulpit, built in 1832 by Wouter de Vos (builder of several Breede River houses) and presented by him and his three brothers.